Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How many now?

Hierarchical inclusion is the idea that whole numbers build by exactly one and that they nest within each other by this amount. (Fosnot & Dolk, pp. 36 - 37). Understanding hierarchical inclusion leads to the big ideas of decomposing & composing numbers and part-whole relationships. Consequently, hierarchical inclusion is an important concept learners need to experience and explore early on.

A few years ago, I wrote the book In Flew One More as a way to introduce hierarchical inclusion to early elementary learners. The book is a series of poems and illustrations that leverage learners desire to find patterns. Through reading and discussing this book, the idea of numbers building on by one is explicitly explored.

Given that April is national poetry month, I thought it was an appropriate time to share my book.



And here I am reading In Flew One More in my wife's first grade class this past Tuesday.



Finally, these are some cards related to the book that I made for a learning center on hierarchical inclusion.
I hope you enjoy National Poetry Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEDxGrandValley